Monday, December 15, 2008

Bringing Joy to Others During the Holidays

It is that time of the year when we start celebrating with friends and family. I had a Christmas party this weekend with my friends. This is an annual function, when we all get together and we have food, drinks, and we exchange a gift, usually a secret santa.
As I thought of what I would buy as a gift, I started to think of how unfortunate it is for some families around this time of year. Then my husband came home from work with a flyer, his company was organizing a toy drive for "Toys for Tots." It was a sign for me to do a good deed.
Then I emailed all my friends and told them to bring an unwrapped toy to the party, and told them how we would be donating them to children who are less fortunate. I was so happy when my friends started to respond with positive feedback about the toy drive idea. Everyone loved the idea. I was so glad that I thought of this, especially after reading the paper one day and reading an article of how the toy drive organizations were having a tough time this year with the toy drives. This brought tears to my eyes but the day of the party I could not have been happier to see how generous my friends were in collaborating with this good deed.
I think it is always a good idea to remember those less fortunate then ourselves, but the holidays are even more of a reason to bring that holiday cheer to others.

Celebrating- to have or participate in a party
Annual-occuring once a year
Function-social gathering or occasion
"Secret santa"- get a gift for someone (don't know who)for Christmas
unfortunate- lamentable, sad
flyer-a circular for mass distribution
Toy Drive- charity event where toys are collected around the holidays for poor children
deed- something that is done
emailed- send mail through internet
generous-liberal in giving or sharing
collaborating- to cooperate

1. Halloween is an ____________ event.
2. They are ______________ his birthday.
3. We went to a ________________ for work.
4. It was an ________________ situation, everyone was sad.
5. _________ are a good way to distribute information.
6. The best way to send mail to other is through _______________.
7. She worked at a soup kitchen, she did a good _____________.
8. I bought a toy for the __________________.
9. He likes to donate to charities, he is very ____________.
10. Everyone will _______________ with setting up for the party.


Grammar Point:

When to leave out articles:
Plural nouns (Dogs chase cats.)
Uncountable nouns (Give me money.)
Before a singular noun if repalced with another determiner (I read that book.)

No comments: