Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Racial Tolerance

The recent death of Marcelo Lucero, the Ecuadorian immigrant has brought fear to many hispanics in our communities. This heinous hate crime of which seven young man are allegedly responsible is disturbing. As I read the newspaper and watch the news, I wonder why these young men had to kill an innocent man. As a fellow hispanic living in Long Island, it sickens me to think that someone would want to hurt me because I am Hispanic. I never really thought about it this way.
As a parent, I feel it is important to teach your children tolerance. I find this especially important in my home where we me and my husband come from two different cultures. He is Irish/Italian-American and I am Colombian-American. I look foward to educating my son on his different cultures and teaching him to be accepting of other's cultural differences. It is important to teach children about racial tolerance and acceptance of different ethnic groups.

Immigrant-a person who migrates to another country.
Heinous-hateful.
Hate crime-a hateful offense.
Allegedly-not yet proved.
Disturbing-upsetting.
Fellow-belonging to the same class or group.
Racial-characteristic of one race.
Tolerance-recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
Acceptance-being accepted.
Ethnic-characteristics of a people.


1. The student was graduating with his ________________ classmates.
2. The murder was ________________ for the community.
3. She could not forgive him, what he did was ________________.
4. The burglar ____________ stole the money.
5. The boy was not ____________ in the girls club.
6. The _____________ left his country for better opportunities.
7. In order to promote unity we need to teach ________________.
8. The ___________ dances of African culture were performed at the museum.

Grammar Point:
Adverbs
ending ly- allegedly, especially, really

1 comment:

Teacher: Jackie said...

Yes, the killing of this man because he was Hispanic is disgusting. He is gone, and 7 or 8 young men will have to answer for this evil deed. Young people often take the wrong path, but their choice to do commit this terrible act will be hard to come to terms with.

Sometimes we teach our children tolerance, but they follow their peers and don't use their God-given brains. I feel so sorry for the family of the victim.